A 375 foot long glass roof that curves like a wave and welcomes all visitors at Vancouver International Airport needed a Stella custom design part to make the project successful.
We designed the YVR Arm Bracket to have the following features:
- Clamp Connection
- We cut labour costs by creating a bracket that clamped to the HSS structure versus a more traditional connection that would have required each bracket be drilled and tapped to HSS in numerous locations
- Longer Arms
- We cut glass costs with the cost effective use of 12mm glass
- We extended the arms of our bracket to minimize glass deflectionThe distance that a structural member (such as glass) displaces when under load. This is an important factor to consider in design to manage the stress in the glass.
- Adjustable Arms
- The wave shape of the roof created a complex structure with steel beams curving in two directions and flat glass needing to follow those curves.
- Our bracket’s arms could be set at different positions to accommodate the different angles of roof beams and glass